Sustainability Six Pack
By Cheri Chastain, Sustainability Manager, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Earth Day is April 22 and is a great excuse to raise a glass in celebration of all that the Earth provides for us. There are, however simple things you can do to make every day Earth Day. Here’s a Sustainable Six Pack of easy things you can do in your brewery or at home to reduce your impact:
Energy Efficiency and Generation
- Upgrade lighting fixtures and electronics; thoroughly weather strip all windows and doors; install variable speed drives on all pumps and motors
- Investigate whether a renewable energy system makes sense for you
- Remember the mantra: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (compost)
- Automate large water uses; install flow meters for tracking; plant drought tolerant and native landscaping
- Buy ingredients and raw materials that are organic; hops that are Salmon Safe Certified; and food that is as local as practical
- You have the power to drive sustainable and innovative companies with your wallet!
- Find the joy in riding your bike for errands or commuting; test drive an awesome electric vehicle; support your local public transit system!